Free Basics by Facebook
Access some of the most commonly used resources in the world for free in this app
View all of the basic websites that have the information that keeps the world turning.
Free Basics by Facebook is an app that brings you all of the basic sites that you might need during the day. From AccuWeather to ESPN, you can keep up with everything from the forecast to the latest in political news. You can also look up definitions on Dictionary.com or make donations through UNICEF. You might not get all of the sites that are offered by Free Basics by Facebook if the country where you live doesn't have access to them. It's best to look at the sties that are offered so that you can tell whether you should even bother using the app in the first place as it can take up a bit of space on the phone.
One of the other downfalls of the app is that you need a valid phone number, and the provider has to be a part of the offerings as well so that you have access to the sites that are listed. If the requirements are met, then you can easily view the sites for free as long as they are available.
- View sites for free
- Helps when you don't have data to view sites
- Find information on almost anything
- Service provider must allow
- Need valid phone number
Improvements for reliability and speed.
Potentially dangerous permissions
- PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS: Allows an application to see the number being dialed during an outgoing call with the option to redirect the call to a different number or abort the call altogether.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- READ_SMS: Allows an application to read SMS messages.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to change network connectivity state.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.